Friday, July 20, 2012

A Father-Daughter Project

One Saturday, not to long ago, we were cleaning out one side of our two car garage so that two cars could both park inside at the same time. During ths clean up, an old PVC screen door came out of the corner. When asked if either my mother or I wanted to keep it, I said yes.

I had rather lofty ideas that we could turn it into one of those Shabby Chic jewelry holders/displays that you see all over Pinterest. With it being PVC, I knew it wasn't going to be able to fulfill the Shabby part of Shabby Chic. Nonetheless, I wanted to try it.

Now, granted, I didn't want to start right then and there. In case you didn't know, summers in Georgia are HOT. I was already ready sweating and not looking forward to doing to much more of it. I put it on the backburner for things to do before the summer's over.

Well, my wonderful father saw no reason not to do it the second we had a chance so, off we went.

The process didn't take very long and it was so spur of the moment I didn't even think to take pictures.

Once we had zip ties and poultrey mesh chicken wire from Home Depot, we came home, removed the hardware, and washed the door. Remeber, this thing has been in a garage for A WHILE.

(Once again, this was a PVC door. we didn't think it would hold up to a staple gun thus, the zip ties.)

Using the bed of a truck for a work surface, we laid out the cicken wire over the door frame and zip tied it into place. (The chicken wire didn't lay quite flat so we strategically looped the zip ties throught the holes in the chicken wire to tighten and flatten it.

We thought we were done in about an hour and a half. The problem was, the ends of the chicken wire. We couldn't cut them off because then zip ties wouldn't be holding anything and it would all come apart. We didn't quite know what to do so, we just let it sit.

Then, my Dad had a great idea. We could use the thing that attached the hinge to the door frame and use it as a cap on the ends of the door. Genius.

Once that was done, the door was truly finished. Now it's waiting for me to clean out a spot in my room so I can use it to display/hang my multitudes of jewelry. And I do mean multitudes.

It came out a little more Industrial than Shabby Chic but, I think some ribbon over the zip ties and some pretty fabric here and there will do just the trick.

My Dad couldn't be more excited that he could help me with a crafting project and neither can I. This means he can help me with some bigger projects I have planned.

*Laughs Villianous laugh*

He has no idea what he has gotten into nor how much I love and appreciate him and all he does for me.

(This would have been a good Father's Day Post wouldn't it?)

Thanks Dad.


No comments:

Post a Comment