Monday, December 10, 2012

Goin' Old School

I was perusing through some of my favorite blogs and on Pinterest and I kept seeing the same thing.


Cross Stitch.



The first thing I couldn't help but think was, "My mom and Grandmother used to do that." Therefore, I kinda just shrugged my shoulders and went on. But then, I saw some really pretty and really cute ones and I began to change my mind a little. 

I already had my Grandmother's and Mother's stashes of embroidery floss as well as some of of my own. It was a match made in heaven.

I went to my local JoAnn's and they had these little 'My First Stitch' kits and some other little kits. I grabbed a MFS and another kit and headed to checkout. 

(Side Story)
We all know that I like LOVE to save money. I knew one of the kits was on sale and the other was a dollar. Not too expensive to begin with but, I'll always take what I can get. Back in the summer, JoAnn's had a discount card for students. It was something along the lines of 10 or 15% of you regular and sale purchase. It expired some time in August and I was so sad but, all good things must come to an end. 

I was at Plato's Closet a couple of days before I went to JoAnn's. They had a piece of paper taped to the counter that said when a customer showed their college ID, they got a discount. I could not believe I didn't realize that sooner. That got me thinking about all the places that can and do give discounts to college students. 

Back to JoAnn's, when I was checking out with my Cross Stitch kits, I asked the cashier if they had a discount program for college students. She asked to see my ID, grabbed a form, asked me to fill out a form and gave me a card that is good for 10% off regular, sale, AND CLEARANCE purchases, AND it's good until next year. 

WHOOHOOO!!!!

Since then, literally everywhere I go, I ask if they have discounts for college students. I was at a thrift store and asked and the lady said even though they didn't, she'd give me one anyway!

Moral of the Story: It never hurts to ask. All they can say is no.
(End of Side Story)

I started on the MFS kit and quickly worked through most of the pattern. I soon found a pattern online and used the material from the other kit to complete it.



Even with all the great patterns on the Internet and Pinterest, I couldn't find a pattern of an Owl. (Another little fact about myself, I LOVE Owls). I was perusing the embroidery section of Wal-Mart and I saw the perfect thing. A MFS Owl kit.


I wasn't crazy about the color combinations or the pattern on the stomach so I went my own way. Maybe that's a sign that I'm getting good?! ;)

I most certainly plan on pursuing this but, don't really foresee buying any more kits. Goodness knows, I have plenty of my own string I can use.

Thanks for coming by and have a Great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment